Assistant Professor of Biology
Warren Pryor spent the first 18 years of his career in zoos and aquariums, first as an aquarist at Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and then as an animal curator at the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo. He has traveled to places of particular biological interest, including the rainforests of the Olympic Peninsula, the rocky coast of Southern California, the Galapagos Islands and Australia several times. Mr. Pryor has logged hundreds of hours as a certified SCUBA diver, is an avid sailor, and enjoys boat building and knitting. He posts periodic updates about activities he and his students complete on his blog.
- Master of Arts in Biology, thesis track – University of Nebraska Omaha, 1988
- Master of Science in Marine Biology – Florida Institute of Technology, 1982
- Freshwater mussel ecology
- Public aquarium management
- Marine Biology Lab
- Comparative Anatomy
- Vertebrate Physiology
- Principles of Biology I
- Experimental Design and Research Methods
- Special Problems in Biology
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Biological Field Studies
- Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) – Basic SCUBA Certification #84229344, 1984-present
- Freshwater Mollusk Conservation Society (FMCS)
- American Association of Zoo Keepers (AAZK)
- Pryor, W.W., Morris, D.J., & Simmons L.G. (1988.) An evaluation of supplementing bacterial filtration with algae scrubbers in a recirculating marine aquarium. Zoo Biology, 7, 281-288.
- Pryor, W.W. (1991). Care and display of the Jamaican fruit bat (Artibeus jamaicensis) at the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo. AAZPA Regional Proceedings, 746-752.
- Pryor, W.W. (1995). Measurement of biomass and growth in quahog clams with notes on their captive husbandry. AZA Regional Conference Proceedings, 123-128.
- Mohan, P.J., & Pryor W.W. (1996). Effects of specialty aquarium lamps on protein and photosynthetic pigment concentrations in the rock anemone, Epicystis (=Phymanthus) crucifer. AZA Annual Conference Proceedings, poster, 399. Waikiki, HI.
- Pryor, W.W. (1998). Inexpensive respiration rate measurement in captive pimpleback freshwater mussels. AZA Regional Conference Proceedings, 313-316.
- Pryor, W.W., & Piropato C. (1999). The Worms! Exhibit at the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo. International Zoo News, 46, 147-153.
- Pryor, W.W. (2000). Size distribution of a population of giant floater mussels (JPyganodon grandis) in Bowman Lake, Allen County, Indiana. Drum & Coker, 32, 20-22.
- Firchau, B., Pryor, W., & Correia J. (2004). Census of elasmobranchs in public aquariums. In M. Smith, D. Warmolts, D. Thoney, & R. Hueter (Eds.), The Elasmobranch Husbandry Manual: Captive Care of Sharks, Rays and their Relatives, (pp. 515-519). Columbus, Ohio: Ohio Biological Survey.
- Pryor, W.W. (2005). Distribution of the native freshwater mussels in the rivers of Allen County, Indiana. Retrieved from www.sjrwi.org/documents/PryorWDistrbNatvMusslAllenCo.pdf.
- “Changes in tentacle and column length of the symbiotic sea anemone, Aiptasia pulchella, during the light portion of the photoperiod” – Regional Aquatics Workshop, Saint Louis Zoo; 1990
Saint Louis, Mo.
- “Wild urban clams: The freshwater mussels of Allen County, Indiana,” poster presentation – AZA National Conference; 1997
- “Sex and the devil: Monitoring reproductive activity in the Tasmanian devil (Sarcophilus harrisii),” with A. Obringer, A. Lund, E. Crichton, N. Loskutoff and E. Kirchner – 118th Indiana Academy of Science Annual Meeting, abstract in program, p. 106; 2002
- “Population biology of the pimpleback mussel, Quadrula pustulosa (Lea, 1831), (Bivalvia Unionidae) in the Saint Joseph River, Allen County, Indiana from 1997 to 2002” – 119th Indiana Academy of Science Annual Meeting, abstract in program, p. 99; 2003
- “Population biology of Quadrula pustulosa at Johnny Appleseed Park” – Great Lakes Mollusk Watchers’ Conference; 2004
- “Sediment analysis in the Saint Joseph River” – Seminar Presentation, Science Faculty and Students, University of Saint Francis; 2006
Fort Wayne, Ind.
- “Assessment of freshwater mussel communities in Cedar Creek, northeast Indiana,” with S.S. Goodman and R.B. Gillespie – 123rd Indiana Academy of Science Annual Meeting, abstract in program, p. 54; 2007
- “Investigation of the thermal environment of freshwater mussels in northeastern Indiana,” preliminary report with S.J. Tracy, H.N. Smith and A.L. Heyerly – 123rd Indiana Academy of Science Annual Meeting, abstract in program, p. 55; 2007
- “One hundred years of unionids: Replication of the 1908 survey of freshwater mussels of Allen County, Indiana,” poster presentation with R.E. Morman, K.R. Wire, J.M. Baumgartner and A.H. Meier – 124th Fall Meeting, Indiana Academy of Science, University of Evansville; October 23-25, 2008
- “Mussel community trends in the Saint Joseph River (of the Maumee): Annual surveys at Johnny Appleseed Park,” with R.E. Morman and J.M. Baumgartner – 125th Fall Meeting, Indiana Academy of Science, Indiana University Kokomo; October 22-23, 2009
- “Spatial difference in community composition of unionids of the Saint Joseph (of the Maumee) at Johnny Appleseed Park,” with J.M. Baumgartner and R.E. Morman – 22nd Annual Butler University Undergraduate Research Conference
- “Ecological physiology of Lampsilis siliquoidea (Bivalvia: Unionidae) in Crooked Lake, Whitley County, Indiana: A preliminary analysis,” poster presentation with R.E. Morman and J.M. Baumgartner – Association of Franciscan Colleges and University, University of Saint Francis; 2010
Fort Wayne, Ind.
- “Distribution and habitat characterization of unionids in Crooked Lake, Whitley County, Indiana: A preliminary report,” with R.E. Moran – 4th Annual Meeting of the Ohio Valley Unified Malacologists (OVUM), The Ohio State University; November 6, 2010
- “Thermal Environment Fluctuations of Unionids of Crooked Lake, Whitley County, Indiana, August 2009-July 2010,” with C. Gleason, R.E. Morman and A.E. Wright – OVUM Meeting, Thomas More College Biology Field Station; October 1, 2001
- “Investigating food energy availability to Lampsilis siliquoidea: Combustion analysis of plankton in Crooked Lake, Indiana,” poster presentation with A. Taylor and A. Geyer – Regional Chemical Society Meeting; October 2012
- “Preliminary attempt to determine the food available to Lampsilis siliquoidea (Bivalvia: Unionidae) in Crooked Lake, Whitley County, Indiana,” with A. Taylor, A. Geyer and A. Wright – Science Seminar, University of Saint Francis; September 21, 2012
Fort Wayne, Ind.
- “Freshwater mussel respirometry studies performed on Lampsilis siliquoidea of Crooked Lake, Whitley County, Indiana,” with A. Wright – OVUM Meeting; October 6, 2012
Fort Wayne, Ind.
View Warren Pryor’s curriculum vitae.